Program at a glance
The 1st Amino Acid Academy
September 28th & 29th 2017 – Paris, France
“Amino Acid Nutrition and Sustainability”
Thursday September 28th – 8h30 / 12h30
|h 8.30||Registration and welcome|
ECONOMY – Resources | Chairman: Gert Van Duinkerken
- The increasing demand of protein source for animal production leads to look for new feedstuffs, to increase our knowledge about their protein and amino acid contents and characterization.
- During this session we will discuss the economic and nutritional values of protein rich feedstuffs.
|h 9.10||Protein resources and dependency
Thomas Guilbaud, CEREOPA (FR)
|h 9.50||Alternative feedstuffs & novel proteins
Gilles Tran, AFZ (FR)
|10.30 – BREAK|
|h 11.00||Protein nutritional value of feed ingredients and the influence of processing
Paul Bikker, WUR (NL)
|12.30 – LUNCH|
Thursday September 28th – 14h00 / 18h00
SOCIETY – Biological functions of amino acids and proteins | Chairman: Jaap Van Milgen
- The shift to an antibiotic free production system and the increasing use of low protein diets leads to reconsider amino acid nutrition in monogastric animals.
- How amino acids can contribute to implement new strategies for a better immune status and gut health will be discussed during this session.
- We will also address the impact of amino acids balance on feed intake, which drives an overall better nutrients intake.
|h 14.00||Overview of amino acid nutrition in monogastrics and humans
Paul Moughan, Massey University (NZ)
|h 14.40||Intestinal metabolism of amino acids
Malcolm Watford, Rutgers University (USA)
|15.20 – BREAK|
|h 15.50||How amino acids may help to support an efficient and protective immune response
Nathalie Le Floc’h, INRA (FR)
|h 16.30||Amino acid and feed intake
Gary Schwartz, Albert Einstein College of Medicine (USA)
|18.00 – END|
Friday September 29th – 9h00 / 12h30
ENVIRONMENT – Solutions and perspectives | Chairman: Jean-Yves Dourmad
- The contribution of nutritional strategies to alleviate the environmental impact of animal production will be discussed.
- Life cycle assessment, strategy for efficient low protein diets and precision feeding.
|h 9.00||Reducing the environmental impact of monogastric livestock production with feed-grade amino acids: a life cycle perspective
Florence Garcia Launay, INRA (FR) / Bertrand Méda, INRA (FR)
|10.00 – BREAK|
|h 10.30||Challenge of dietary protein reduction in swine and broilers
Sophie Tesseraud, INRA (FR) / Alfons Jansman, WUR (NL)
|h 11.10||Precision livestock feeding in swine
Candido Pomar, Agriculture Canada (CA)
|12.30 – CONCLUSIONS & LUNCH